HPIC is looking for a Medical Doctor or Pediatric Nurse Practitioner to volunteer in Ghana this Spring. The volunteer will support the capacity building of nurses and other health workers as part of HPIC’s maternal and child health project that is being implemented in Ghana by HPIC in partnership with the district health directorate of Amansie West and South.
Location: Amansie West and South Districts, Ashanti Region, Ghana
Start Date: May/June 2020 (flexible)
Duration: 3-4 days for planning and preparation (in Canada), and 4-5 days in Ghana
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepare and co-facilitate experience sharing/training sessions on Integrated Management of Newborn and Childhood Illnesses (IMNCI) for nurses and other health workers who provide care for newborn and children under five.*
- Assess current practices (both pre-service and in-service) and co-identify additional training needs and priorities.
* The training should cover topics such as bacterial infections, jaundice, diarrhea, pneumonia, malaria, measles, anemia and malnutrition. For teaching purposes, you may choose to present with videos or PowerPoint presentations that should be prepared prior to your arrival in Ghana. You could also bring your teaching tools (dolls, posters, handouts…etc.) with you.
Qualifications and Skills
- A recognized professional degree in pediatrics or pediatric nursing, and an active professional license.
- Experience in clinical practice.
- Experience in conducting workshops, trainings and seminars on IMNCI topics.
- Excellent people skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Good interpersonal/communication skills.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Experience working or volunteering in low-resource areas or having cross-cultural experience is an asset.
- This is a voluntary position. HPIC and its in-country partner will provide the following:
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation.
- Flight tickets.
- Reimbursement for medical insurance (pre-approval from HPIC is needed).
- Pick up and drop off from Accra airport.
- Clean, basic accommodation and meals.
- Wireless internet (most of the time).
- Reimbursement for visa and required vaccination fees.
- Support from HPIC and its in-country partner throughout the stay in Ghana*.
- A $30 stipend to offset incidental expenses for each day overseas.
*The volunteer will be accompanied by an HPIC staff member during her/his stay in Ghana.
Interested candidates should email a copy of their CV and details of two professional references to Catherine Sharouty (email@example.com) as soon as possible. Selected volunteer(s) will be asked to complete a detailed application and sign a waiver form.
Related to Volunteer In Ghana
HPIC Sends First Canadian Shipment of Medicines to Beirut
August 26, 2020 | Toronto, Ontario – Thanks to the generosity of Canadian pharmaceutical companies, financial donors and volunteers, Health Partners…
How Did HPIC Improve The Pharmaceutical Supply Chain?
This online version of our infographic in the online issuu format shows how HPIC improved Afghanistan’s pharmaceutical supply chain through its Capacity…
Pharmaceutical Management Database Project Advancing With Stronger Together Funding
Pharmacies in hospitals and clinics in the developing world often have trouble keeping essential medicines in stock. For 25 years,…